For me, drinking a really green smoothie with heaps of leafy veggies is a lot like diving into a cold swimming pool– there’s that initial shock and then the rest of the experience is pure bliss. Nutrient dense greens, like kale and dandelion, naturally have a bitter taste. At first sip you may taste the bitterness but considering all the wonderful benefits of tossing these power greens into smoothies mixed with sweet fruits, I’ll take that quick bitter shock everyday, and I usually do. Here’s why:
- Green smoothies are easy on the digestive tract: When blended well, most of the cells in the greens and fruits are ruptured, making the valuable nutrients easy for the body to assimilate.
- They are super nutritious: The ratio of nutrients in them is optimal for human consumption; about 60 percent ripe organic fruit blended with about 40 percent organic greens.
- They are a complete food: As opposed to juices, they still have fiber, which is important for our elimination system.
- Green Smoothies are super easy and quick to make: Unlike green juices, which can be time consuming and expensive, a giant smoothie takes less than 5 minutes to make and uses less produce.
- Reducing unnecessary additives: When consuming greens in the form of green smoothies rather than commercial salads, you are greatly reducing the consumption of oils and salt in your diet.
- A molecule of chlorophyll closely resembles a molecule of human blood: According to teachings of Dr. Ann Wigmore, “consuming chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.” Many people do not consume enough greens — even those who stay on a raw food diet. By drinking two or three cups of green smoothies daily, you will consume enough greens to nourish your body, and all of the beneficial nutrients will be well assimilated.
- Green smoothies lead to healthy habits: After a few weeks of drinking green smoothies, most people start to crave and enjoy eating more greens. Eating enough greens is often a problem with many people, especially children.
- They are great for on-the-go: While fresh is always best, green smoothies will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days, which can be handy at work and while traveling– just give em’ a good shake.
Clean Green Smoothie:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Servings: One smoothie (Approximately 4 cups)
- 2 fresh peeled bananas
- 1 cup de-stemmed kale
- 1 cup packed dandelion greens
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 8-10 whole strawberries (keep the green tops! They are edible too)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup fresh coconut water
1. Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend on high until the ingredients are completely blended and smooth.
2. Garnish with some extra raspberries, chopped strawberries, and/or fresh blueberries.
Add some ice cubes to the mix if you prefer your smoothies cold or if the blender has produced heat during the blending process.