I’ve (almost) made peace with the fact that I won’t be having a sweet peach or a juicy watermelon until next summer. It’s always sad to see the best seasonal summer produce disappear but who doesn’t get excited for fall treats like pumpkins, persimmons, pears, figs, and ooey-gooey-right-off-the-tree dates! Speaking of dates, if you’ve only tried the dried variety sold in most grocery stores, you need to leave this page right now and order a box of “wet” dates from 7 Hot Dates. I have no affiliation to the company other than my addiction to their product– super fresh, super sweet, organic, juicy dates. Even though they are a little pricier than usual, it is so worth the special treat and I apologize in advance if you become a date snob after just one bite.
But the star of the show in the recipe is sugar pumpkin! I really love the taste of pumpkin, it’s so unique and gets me extra excited about all of the fun holidays coming up. My body also loves all of the health benefits that it packs in like loads of smooth-moving fiber, free-radical-neutralizing carotenoids, body-balancing potassium, and immune-boosting vitamin C. If you’re ready for all of that goodness and a little spice this fall season, then it’s time to blend up this deliciously festive–and did I mention filling– smoothie.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 Smoothie (Approximately 3.5 cups)
- 1 Cup flesh of a Sugar Pumpkin, cubed
- 1 Cup fresh apple juice
- 1/2 Cup carrots, shredded
- 5 Medjool dates
- 1 TBSP Hemp seeds
- 1 Inch of a raw vanilla bean OR 1/4 TSP raw vanilla powder
- 1 Inch fresh ginger (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 TSP Cinnamon
- 1/4 TSP Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup water (more or less for desired consistency)
- 3-4 Ice cubes (optional)
1. Prep your sugar pumpkin by cutting it in half and scooping out the seeds. Cut out the flesh and slice into cubes.
1. Place the pumpkin and all of the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. For this recipe, a high-speed blender like a Vitamix works best for reaching a smooth, creamy consistency.