In my ideal world everyone would get bananas, strawberries, dates and other sweet fruits in their Trick or Treat bags. Nevertheless, Halloween is still one of my favorite and one of the most exciting holidays because it’s a time to get extra creative. From DIY costumes to fancy decorations and, of course, the festive treats, it seems like Halloween just brings out the best.
In case you’re overloaded on sugar this Halloween season and can’t stand to look at another piece of candy corn, I’ve dressed up some savory bell peppers as Jack-o’-lanterns and stuffed them with the most delicious kale salad peppered with hints of sweet and spice. I was sure to include a few of my favorite, fresh seasonal ingredients like pomegranate, carrots, kale, and cauliflower. So whether messy pumpkin carving isn’t your cup of juice or if you just need a super satisfying Halloween meal (that still allows you to fit into your costume), these Jack-o’-Peppers are perfect for a healthy Halloween!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 Stuffed Peppers
- 4 Orange bell peppers, but any color will do
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegrante arils
- 1/2 Cup sun-dried raisins
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup raw almonds, soaked in water for 6-8 hours and rinsed well
- 1 Cup orange cauliflower, but any color will do
- 1 Cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 TSP Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh chives
1. Place the kale in a large bowl and squeeze juice from 1/2 of the lemon over top. Massage the juice into the kale with your hands for 2-3 minutes or until the kale becomes tender and soft. It’s optional to add 1/2 TSP. olive oil to this step if you want it extra silky, be careful though, a little goes a long way.
2. Mix the pomegranate arils and the raisins with the kale and set the bowl aside.
3. In a food processor, pulse almonds, carrots, cauliflower, chives, juice of the other half of the lemon, and cinnamon until ingredients are well combined.
4. Add the carrot mixture to the kale bowl and thoroughly mix everything together. Adding in some extra lemon juice to taste is also an option.
5. Cut the tops off of the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds. Using a small, sharp knife, carve out your best Jack-O’-Lantern face.
6. Fill the peppers with the kale mixture and if you’re entertaining, place the tops back on the pepper to complete the look. If not, dig in and enjoy right away!